Human Resources

Personal Leaves of Absence

Regular employees may be granted leaves of absence without pay for such reasons as compelling personal circumstances, illness beyond sick-leave benefit periods and absences due to academic year appointment conditions. Each request, which must be in writing, is subject to approval by the department head and the Director of Human Resources on the basis of the type of leave, length of employment and the needs of the College. Reasonable advance notice is important so that arrangements can be made to cover the duties of the employee during the leave. A stated intention about returning to work must be given when the leave is requested.

Leaves of absence may be approved for reasonable periods of time, up to three months. Extensions of leaves of absence may be granted in appropriate cases depending on individual circumstances and the business needs of the College. Extensions must be requested in writing and approved by the department head, Director of Human Resources, Treasurer and Dean of the Faculty if applicable.

Vacation, medical leave and other benefits related to service time will be prorated according to the time actually worked during the benefit year. Retirement plan contributions are suspended for any period of unpaid personal leave. Employees on unpaid leaves of absence are not eligible for holiday pay for holidays occurring during their leave. All insurance benefit payments normally made by the College continue during the period of authorized leave. Employees are responsible for their share of the cost of benefits during the leave.

If, while on an authorized personal leave of absence, an employee engages in other employment without the consent of the College, he or she may be subject to termination. If an employee on such leave fails to report for work at the beginning of the first regular day of employment after such leave, he or she may be subject to termination. Upon return to work after a leave of absence, the College will attempt to restore the employee to his or her original position, or to a position of similar status and pay, without loss of seniority.