Theme: Supervisory Skill Development
Primary Competency: Supervisory Skills
New Supervisor Learning Group Overview
It is often said that stepping into a supervisory role for the first time is one of the most difficult transitions a leader will make throughout their entire career. Ironically, these transitions often occur with little or no development support.
This development opportunity -- New Supervisor Learning Group -- is designed to be "low investment/high impact" and will include a short <15 minute read or watch each month followed by a 1-hour meeting to discuss. The design of this offering will also focus on building and strengthening a network among participants.
This program is specifically designed for those who moved into a first-time supervisory role within the past two years -- whether recruited externally or promoted from within. (Note of clarification: This is not a program for experienced supervisors who are new to the College.)
2023-2024 Workshop Dates and Topics
Monthly topics have been selected based on the priority skill-development needs of new supervisors. All workshops will take place 10:00 - 11:00 AM on Zoom.
- September 19th, 2023 - The Importance of Connection Before Content
- October 17th, 2023 - Creating a Feedback-Rich Environment
- November 21, 2023 - Setting Group Expectations to Build Trust
- January 23rd, 2024 - Growth Mindset
- February 20th, 2024 - Delegation and Decisions
- March 19th, 2024 - Fostering Connection Through Collaboration
- April 23rd, 2024 - Navigating Conflict Amongst Team Members
- May 21st, 2024 - Goal Setting
- June 18th, 2024 - Building Psychological Safety
The New Supervisor Learning Group program will be on-going and participants can opt in or out at any time. A one time registration will allow participants to receive updates about the program and learning materials for each workshop. Attendance at the monthly workshops is encouraged though not required.