The Office of Human Resources welcomes you to Amherst College!
This new employee orientation webpage is designed to provide you with relevant information and help you get started in your new position. We have included information with links to more detailed content on our website, as well as other tools to facilitate your transition. We look forward to meeting you within the first few days of your arrival on campus.
We hope you are excited to join our vibrant and diverse campus community. Please contact us with any questions you may have at 413-542-2372 or email@example.com.
Maria-Judith Rodriguez, Chief Human Resources Officer
Human Resources Staff
Sue Smoyer, Director of Talent Management
Chris Casey, Director of Compensation, Benefits and HRIS
Philip Chapman-Bell, Benefits Specialist / HR Systems Analyst
Amy Rondeau, HR Generalist
Scott Kinney, HR Generalist
Heap Sin, HR Information Systems Specialist
Stephen Butler, Trainer and Organizational Development Specialist
Kate Wesolowski, HR Engagement & Communication Coordinator
Edward Maldonado, HR Assistant
Office of Human Resources
79 South Pleasant Street, Suite 200
Amherst, MA 01002
Getting Started - Your First Day
Your supervisor will be prepared to meet you and help you get settled on your first day. One of your first tasks will be a visit to the Office of Human Resources to complete the important paperwork needed to establish your records at the College.
To see a list of these documents, please click on this link: New Hire Forms and Information
New hires should schedule a meeting with the Benefits Specialist to review and discuss benefits and to complete the necessary paperwork. This meeting should be scheduled as soon as possible to ensure timely enrollment in our benefits.
A complete list of the benefits offered to Amherst College's employees is available at https://www.amherst.edu/mm/98700.
Security Awareness Program
You also will need to participate in the Security Awareness Program from Information Technology within the first two weeks after your arrival. New employees will receive an email invitation to participate in the program. The program is completely online, and you can pause and restart it until you complete the full program. Please contact AskIT@amherst.edu for more information, or visit the information page located at https://www.amherst.edu/mm/477759.
As you begin your career at the College, there will be much more to learn. The links below will provide you with more specific and detailed information about Amherst College and its policies.
Staff Handbook - up to date information on policies and procedures for staff and supervisors
Faculty Handbook - up to date information on policies and procedures for faculty
For a listing of other resources available on the Human Resources website, please view this link - https://www.amherst.edu/mm/41895.
Supervisors can explore more ideas for developing creative ways to transition new employees into their departments. Please visit these webpages for additional information:
- Resources for Supervisors - articles and research on what makes an effective onboarding experience
- Supervisor Checklist for New Hires - a list of tasks to be completed before a new employee arrives
New employees at Amherst can learn more about resources on our campus and in the surrounding community at:
- Employee Discounts - a list of local stores and organizations where college employees receive discounts, as well as some on campus resources
- On Campus Resources - a partial list of resources available on campus including a contact list of services available to our campus (download the file below)
- Pioneer Valley Exploration - a listing of organizations, special events, restaurants and more to be discovered and enjoyed in the local area (download the file below)
- Multicultural Resource Guide - a listing of local and regional resources compiled by Five Colleges Inc.
- Valley Almanac 2016-17 (compiled by the Daily Hampshire Gazette)
- Visitor's Guide 2018 (compiled by the Daily Hampshire Gazette)
- Employee Council