The Office of Human Resources welcomes you to Amherst College!
This new employee orientation webpage is designed to provide you with relevant information and help you get started in your new position. We have included information with links to more detailed content on our website, as well as other tools to facilitate your transition. We look forward to meeting you within the first few days of your arrival on campus.
We hope you are excited to join our vibrant and diverse campus community. Please contact us with any questions you may have at 413-542-2372 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources Staff
Chris Casey, Interim Director of Human Resources
Ana Devlin Gauthier, Learning and Development Facilitator
Fredricka Joyner, Director of Organization Development & Engagement
Edward Maldonado, HR Assistant
Amy Rondeau, HR Business Partner
Kate Wesolowski, HR Engagement & Communication Coordinator
Please visit the Shared Services contacts for additional support in the areas of Human Resources, Payroll, Accounts Payable, and Procurement.
Getting Started - Your First Day
Your supervisor will be prepared to meet you and help you get settled on your first day. One of your first tasks will be to complete the important paperwork needed to establish your records at the College. You will need to schedule an appointment to finalize new hire paperwork with the Office of Human Resources.
To see a list of these documents, please click on this link: New Hire Forms and Information
New hires (for regular employees only) should schedule a meeting with the Benefits Specialist to review and discuss benefits and to complete the necessary paperwork. This meeting should be scheduled as soon as possible to ensure timely enrollment in our benefits.
A complete list of the benefits offered to Amherst College's employees is available at https://www.amherst.edu/mm/98700.
Security Awareness Program
You also will need to participate in the Security Awareness Program from Information Technology within the first two weeks after your arrival. New employees will receive an email invitation to participate in the program. The program is completely online, and you can pause and restart it until you complete the full program. Please contact AskIT@amherst.edu for more information, or visit the information page located at https://www.amherst.edu/mm/477759.
Title IX and Bystander Training
All new hires must attend a Title IX / Bystander training to learn about your obligations to report information relating to any incidents of sexual harassment, and to learn about bystander techniques that encourage you to speak up when you observe inappropriate behaviors at work. Visit the Title IX website for more information and to register.
As you begin your career at the College, there will be much more to learn. The links below will provide you with more specific and detailed information about Amherst College and its policies.
Staff Handbook - up to date information on policies and procedures for staff and supervisors
Faculty Handbook - up to date information on policies and procedures for faculty
For a listing of other resources available on the Human Resources website, please view this link - https://www.amherst.edu/mm/41895.
Supervisors can explore more ideas for developing creative ways to transition new employees into their departments. Please visit these webpages for additional information:
- Resources for Supervisors - articles and research on what makes an effective onboarding experience
- Supervisor Checklist for New Hires - a list of tasks to be completed before a new employee arrives
New employees at Amherst can learn more about resources on our campus and in the surrounding community at:
- Employee Discounts - a list of local stores and organizations where college employees receive discounts, as well as some on campus resources
- On Campus Resources - a partial list of resources available on campus including a contact list of services available to our campus
- Pioneer Valley Exploration - a listing of organizations, special events, restaurants and more to be discovered and enjoyed in the local area
- Multicultural Resource Guide - a listing of local and regional resources compiled by Five Colleges Inc.
- Valley Almanac 2020-2021 (compiled by the Daily Hampshire Gazette)
- Area Guides (compiled by the Daily Hampshire Gazette)
- Amherst Area Visitor Guide (Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce)
- Employee Council