Amherst College is requiring that all staff and faculty be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It is our hope that these vaccination requirements for all colleagues will provide additional protection for everyone in our community and be reassuring to you personally as we begin to return to campus.
Review information on benefits of the vaccine.
We are currently accepting any vaccine approved by the WHO.
Information regarding how to submit your vaccination documentation.
Requests for medical or religious exemptions will be reviewed and granted on a case-by-case basis.
- Request for COVID-19 Vaccine Medical Exemption
The College is aware that certain staff and faculty members may have a medical condition that does not allow for vaccination. Medical exemption can be requested by submitting a letter of explanation from a licensed medical provider (i.e.; MD, DO, NP, PA) who is not a family member. The letter must include the staff or faculty member’s name and date of birth, and be submitted to the Office of Human Resources via fax, email, or mail. Qualifying medical conditions include history of severe or immediate allergic reaction of varying degrees to a previous dose or component of the COVID-19 vaccine, known diagnosed allergy to a component of the COVID-19 vaccine, or other significant medical condition described by the medical provider. A vaccine exemption for medical reasons does not imply approval for a disability accommodation. A disability accommodation must be requested through a separate process.
Requests will be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources and, if found to meet qualifications, approved within approximately 10-15 business days.
If a staff member does not qualify for an exemption and does not want to receive the vaccination, the following steps will be implemented:
- Unpaid Leave of Absence (LOA) and non-benefits eligible for 90 days
- Staff member may return to campus after being fully vaccinated, but must do so before the 90-day LOA has expired
- If a staff member is not fully vaccinated at the end of their 90-day LOA, it will be considered job abandonment and we'll move to terminate the staff member
- Faculty members should contact the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty for further instructions