I-20s may be sent electronically

The US Department of Homeland Security has announced that schools may sign and send I-20s electronically. 

After receiving your I-20 from the OIS via email, please be sure to print out your I-20 and sign the bottom of page 1.  Carry the print-out of this I-20 when presenting it to US officials.

Do you need a travel signature?

All F-1 and J-1 visa holders planning to travel abroad and request reentry to the US must have a valid travel signature (endorsement) on their I-20 or DS-2019 form.

In order for the signature to be considered "valid," it must be less than one year old (or, for those on OPT, less than six months old) at the time of your return to the US. To request a travel signature, please follow the steps below.

  • Meet with us during advising hours or email us as soon as you know your travel plans. Please don't wait until the last minute—this process takes a little bit of time.
  • Bring the following documents to your appointment: your passport with your visa (Canadian citizens will not have a visa stamp), your current I-20 or DS-2019, and a copy of your I-94.

Office of Immigration Services (OIS) advising staff will confirm your current enrollment status and review your records, and then will provide the travel signature for you if everything is in order.

I-20s with travel signatures can be sent to you via email.  If you need to have a DS-2019 with travel signature shipped to you, follow the instructions in the OIS's Shipping Requests page.