Education Abroad Tips for International Students

Can international students study abroad?

Yes! You may be eligible to participate in an authorized study abroad or domestic exchange program.

Consult with the Global Education Office for more information about available programs and the application process. You can also schedule a study abroad advising appointment online.

What do I need to know as I plan for my study abroad program?

Be sure to consult with Global Education and the Office of Immigration Services well in advance of your departure, as there is important information that you will need to know regarding your US student visa and foreign visa requirements. While we will do our best to help you navigate requirements and any challenges you might encounter, please note that our offices cannot provide advice regarding foreign visa applications and cannot contact foreign embassies/consulates in regards to the visa application process on your behalf.

Before leaving to study abroad, be sure to visit the OIS for an updated travel signature and up-to-date travel information. Travel signatures are valid for 12 months, and must be valid at the time of your return to the US.

If your most recent travel signature will be more than 12 months old when you return to the US from studying abroad, you should request a new I-20 with a travel signature. Review Travel Signatures for more information on requesting a signature from out of town.

For general information about traveling and reentering the US in F-1/J-1 status, see the OIS Travel page.

Please note that the timing of a spring study abroad semester or a year abroad may impact your ability to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for use during the summer immediately following. Email us for more information and to discuss the options available to you.

For more information about education abroad and domestic exchange programs, please consult with Global Education.