Extending Your Program End Date

If you will not be completing your studies at Amherst College before the program end date on your I-20/DS-2019, you will need to request an extension for your immigration document. Please first discuss the academic extension with your class dean. If the academic extension is approved, a new immigration document will be issued for you with an amended program end date once your academic record has been updated to reflect your new graduation term. Please keep in mind that your F-1/J-1 visa may expire before your new program end date, and you will need to apply for a new F-1/J-1 visa if you plan to travel outside of the US and return to Amherst College after the current visa expires, even if your extended I-20/DS-2019 is valid.

Failure to extend your I-20/DS-2019 before its end date will greatly jeopardize your F-1 or J-1 status.