Do you have questions about off-campus employment options that aren’t answered by our Optional Practical Training, Unpaid Internships & Volunteer Work, or Curricular Practical Training pages? Look no further!

Within the US

Working with International Organizations

A special provision allows off-campus employment of F-1 students by a “recognized international organization,” such as the World Bank, the United Nations, and UNICEF,  located in the US. See a complete list of government designated international organizations. While a similar application (and fee) to USCIS and an EAD card are required, this kind of authorization does not require that the employment be directly related to your major field of study, nor does it subtract from your available twelve months of OPT. Visit us during advising hours or email us if you have received or expect to receive an offer from one of these organizations and would like to apply for this work authorization!

Pursuing Other Avenues

If you are interested in working in the US and are not sure what options are available to you, reach out to us via email. We can help you explore funding options available if you are interested in pursuing a summer internship, as well navigate any regulatory restrictions and authorization needs that might be involved.

Outside of the US

Students who study in F-1 or J-1 status in the US do not need any US work authorization to pursue employment in non-US countries. However, if you are considering employment opportunities in a non-US country that is also not your home country, you may need to obtain a visa for the country you’d be working in. While the Office of Immigration Services (OIS) does not have expertise here, we’re happy to point you in the direction of some resources to help you research whether you’d need a visa or work authorization in another country.

Additionally, if you’re looking to brainstorm employment options overseas, please feel free to visit us during advising hours or email us. We would be happy to help you think through some options, and connect you with campus resources who can offer more insight.