Kaltura automatically captions all videos in English when they are uploaded. Kaltura can also caption videos in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and Cantonese (and please ask us if you need another language)- info here on captioning in these languages.
- Video: Edit Kaltura Captions
- Kaltura Resource Page on Editing Captions
- More info about captioning in other platforms and general best practices
- Upload your video to Kaltura via Moodle or kaltura.amherst.edu.
- Wait for Kaltura to process the video and captions. This can take 30 minutes to an hour + depending on the length of the video.
- Once it's proecssed, in your “My Media” area, click the link for the video.
- Click the “Actions” drop-down menu, and then click Edit
- Click the “Captions” tab
- Note: in addition to providing access to the Closed Captions Editor, this tab also includes options for hiding, deleting, or downloading captions (as a .srt file)
- Click the “Edit captions” button
- This will bring you to the Closed Captions Editor page
- Make edits directly in the timestamped sections shown on the left of the page
- Play/pause video on right side of the page to view where captions will be shown (displayed captions will highlight in blue)
- Delete or add caption sections as needed
- Edit timestamps as needed
- Use Search or Search and replace options at top of the page
- To add a Speaker, select the checkbox next to caption sections, then enter the Speaker name in the “Add Speaker” box at the top of the page, then click on the “Add” button
- Be sure to click on the “Save” button at the top right of the page when edits are complete
Captioning in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese
- View the video in Kaltura.
- Click the Actions Menu > Caption and Enrich.
- Order "Machine captions" in the language of your choice.
- Once the captions have been processed, follow the instructions above to edit as needed.
- To delete the English captions, view the video, click the actions menu, then Edit, then the Captions tab.
- Click the "x" next to the English captions to delete them.