ATS supports the use of many specialized applications for mathematical and spatial data analysis.
Faculty or students needing project support should submit an AskIT ticket.
- ArcGIS * — Create maps and analyze geographic information. Windows only.
- Excel * — Standard spreadsheet software for data analysis and visualization.
- Gephi § — Visualize and analyze networks.
- Mathematica * — A high-level symbolic and numerical calculation and programming environment. Also available on our unix servers and computing cluster.
- Matlab † — Solve mathematical problems numerically and analyze numerical data. Also available on our unix servers and computing cluster. An open-source version of Matlab called Octave is available on the computing cluster, though conversion may not be simple.
- Python § — A general-purpose programming language favored by data scientists. Also available our unix servers and computing cluster. The Anaconda platform provides a development environment and many other tools and modules commonly used for analysis and is recommended.
- Qualtrics * — Cloud-based survey application with many useful features.
- R § — Statistical analysis program. Also available our unix servers and computing cluster. Typically used with the R Studio development environment, for which we also provide a cloud interface. The graphical interface R Commander provides easier access to many common analyses (installation instructions here).
- SPSS * — Advanced statistical analysis.
IT maintains a complete list of Data Analysis and Programming Software here.
All of this software is installed in the campus computer labs.
* Can be installed on all College-, faculty-, staff-, and student-owned computers. Download, except Excel and Qualtrics.
† Can be installed on all College-, faculty-, and staff-owned computers, but not student-owned computers. Download.
§ Freeware / Open-source. Follow the specific information link to download.