Updated for Fall 2023 transition to LTI 1.3.
The Gradescope/Moodle integration creates links to a Gradescope course and its assignments in your Moodle site. It will automatically add students, and you and the students can use the links in Moodle to use Gradescope without needing to log in separately.
You can also publish grades from Gradescope back to the Moodle Gradebook.
These are brief instructions for folks already familiar with the Gradescope interface, separate documentation is available for using Gradescope. Please contact askIT@amherst.edu if you have questions or need more help.
Link a Gradescope Course and Add Gradescope Assignments to Your Moodle Site
Each Gradescope activity you add to a Moodle site links to an individual Gradescope assignment (new for Fall 2023). It also creates a placeholder item in the Moodle gradebook, so you can sync grades from Gradescope to Moodle if you choose. Here's how to get started.
- Turn on Edit Mode.
- In the section where you want the assignment to appear, click Add an Activity or Resource.
- In the list of activities and resources, click on the button for Gradescope LTI 1.3.
- Provide an Activity name (e.g. “Gradescope Assignment 1”).
- Leave everything else as-is and click the button Save and display.
- The Gradescope interface will now appear, and if this is the first connection between Moodle and Gradescope for this course, you will be prompted to link to a course within Gradescope.
- If you've already created a Gradescope course, click the button An existing Gradescope Course. You will then be provided with a list of your courses from which to choose.
- Otherwise, click the button A new Gradescope Course. You will then be prompted to create a new Gradescope course with information provided by Moodle.
- Click the button Link Course
- Next it will ask if you want to create a new Gradescope assignment, or link to a new one.
- If you don't want to do this right now, click Close.
To add more assignments, repeat the steps above, and you will skip step 6 & 7.
Sync your Roster
In the Gradescope window, in the left-hand list, click Roster and then in the green bar at the bottom click Sync Moodle Roster.
After determining grades in Gradescope, in the left-hand list, click on Review Grades, then at the bottom of the page click on the button Post Grades to Moodle.
Add a Single Gradescope Link per Moodle Site
The only recommended way to do this is to forego the Moodle integration and use Gradescope as a standalone tool.
- Log into gradescope.com with your Amherst login. Select "school credentials" on the log-in screen.
- Create a course there.
- See instructions here for adding students- the easiest method is to let students self-enroll with an entry code and put the URL for the Gradescope course in your Moodle site.
- Students will also log in to Gradescope using the "School Credentials" option and their Amherst account.
Gradescope Links Imported from Previous Courses
Starting Fall 2023, Moodle has a new Gradescope integration using LTI 1.3. Any Gradescope links imported from pre-Fall 2023 courses will not work.
Please delete any old Gradescope links, or Moodle assignments linked to Gradescope, from your course and get a fresh start with the steps above. Email askIT@amherst.edu if you'd like help doing this.