The attendance activity allows an instructor to record student attendance in the course sessions. One attendance activity lets you track attendance for the entire semester (so you only need one). Students will be allowed to see only their own attendance.
Create the Attendance Activity
- From your course page, turn editing on and go to the Topic or Week in which you want to add the attendance link. It might make sense to keep it in the very top, undated, section.
- Click on the Add an activity or resource menu and select Attendance.
- The only setup option you may want to adjust is whether it is graded.
- Click Save and Display. This will take you into the Attendance activity.
- Click the Add Session tab. On this screen you can specify the course meeting times for which you want to take attendance.
- The Multiple sessions section sets how often the pattern of sessions is repeated.
- Once the sessions are created you can review them using the Sessions tab. From here you can take attendance using for a particular session by clicking on the green icon on the right.
- The options here are present (P), late (L), excused (E) and absent (A). Remember to hit the Save attendance button (below the user list and now shown here) when done.
- You can see the attendance report by going to the Report tab.
- If a student has dropped the course attendance can no longer be taken for them. However, if they had attended early sessions, they would still be available.
- It is possible to change the attendance options, and the grade value of each, by using the Settings tab.
In addition to the activity itself, there is an attendance block that will give you quick access to the attendance information.
This offers a quick way to access the attendance activity or, as in this case, activities.