The scheduler activity allows your students to sign up for a time slot. This can be used to arrange for office hours, control access to equipment or for any purpose where you need to limit when your students do something.
The first step in using the scheduler is to create the activity.
- Click the Turn editing on button in the upper right corner of the screen. Click the Add an activity drop-down menu where you wish your Scheduler activity to display and click Scheduler. This will bring up the Scheduler setup screen.
- Type a name for this particular Scheduler instance in the Name field.
- Set the other values as needed. Critical settings include
- Mode: This can only be set so a student can register for a specified number of appointment either at one time or over the life of the scheduler.
- Default slot duration: This sets the time for each scheduled slot.
- Standard activity options are available.
- Click on the Save and return to course button at the bottom on the screen.
Setting up the Time Slots
One the schedule has been created, you need to create the time slots that the student can select. Start by clicking on the schedule name in your course. This brings up the scheduler interface with the My appointments tab selected.
You will have the choice of adding a set of repeated slots that fit some kind of pattern or a single unique slot.
Repeated slots is probably more common. Fill in the fields as needed. Critical ones include,
- Date: Date of first slot
- Repeat Time Slot Until: Date of last slot
- Add Appointments on: Establishes a pattern of slots. In this case, the slots appear every day Monday through Friday.
- Start time: Time of first slot on any day.
- End time: Time of last slot on any day.
- Divide into slots?: When yes, the period from the start to end time is divided into individual slots.
- Duration: Length of each individual slot.
- Allow multiple students per slot?: How many students can sign up for a particular slot. This can be set to a variety of values, including Unlimited. This is useful for scheduling group activity or access to shared resources such as specialized lab equipment.
Remember to click on Save changes when done.
The single slot creation is basically the same except that it is missing the options needed for repetition. It also allows you to schedule a student into the slot immediately.
Using the Scheduler
When the student goes to the scheduler they will see the folloing interface,
The interface shows the student all the slots they are currently schedule for. To schedule another time the student merely click on the Book slot button for the time slot they want.
As the instructor, when you go to the scheduler you'll now see which students have signed up for a time.
Immediately below that will be a list of students who haven't scheduled an appointment yet. You can use this interface to remind students that they need to sign up for a time or, by using the Schedule link, schedule them yourself.