How to add a discussion forum to a Moodle site.
- Turn on editing using the button in the upper right.
- At the appropriate point in your course, select Forum from either the Add an Activity or Add an Activity or Resource pull-down menu.
- On the forum setup page, give the forum a name and a brief description.
- Choose a forum type(see below).
- If students will be adding attachments, check that the Maximum attachment size is set to something appropriate for the papers/files you expect. If you are expecting files larger than 400MB please contact Academic Technology Services as this is probably not the best solution. For text files, the default value should be fine.
- Scroll down and click the Save and return to course button.
- Standard forum for general use: One forum that can contain multiple discussion threads. Students will see an introduction text in a separate space above the list of discussions. Students see a button to start a new discussion (thread). This format is useful if the forum may contain posts about a variety of topics, or if you want each student to have their own thread.
- Single, simple discussion: All posts will be viewable on one screen, and students post by replying to the instructor or another student. teachers posts a question and students are able only to reply. They cannot start a new topic of discussion. This is useful if the forum is about a single topic or is simply to share files or basic information.
- Question and Answer: This is a very specific forum type in which the instructor posts a question and the students post responses. A student cannot see what anyone else has written until they have posted a response.
- Standard forum displayed like a blog works like the standard forum for general use, but the first post of each discussion is displayed (as in a blog) so that users can read it and then choose to respond by clicking the "Discuss this topic" button bottom right of the post.