Option 1: Announcements Forum
- Every Moodle site contains an announcements forum, which provides a one-way means of communication for the instructor to send out messages to the entire class.
- Anything posted to the announcements forum will be sent as an email to everyone enrolled in the site. This does include ADC's and librarians, but we have tips for them here on filtering and managing Moodle-generated email.
- An advantage to this method is that past messages can be viewed by clicking into the forum.
- By default you can add only one attachment, but you can increase this limit in the forum settings.
Option 2: Quickmail Block
Look for the Quickmail Block to the right-hand side of your course site (if your screen is small or zoomed in, it will be at the bottom). Click "Compose New Message" and see below for continued instructions.
The Quickmail Interface
Choose who you'd like to send the message to. You can select "All in Course" (which will include ADC's and Librarians), add specific individuals, or choose a specific role(s) such as "Student AC" and/or "Student 5C" (five college students).
Fill out the subject and message body...
The “Supported user data fields” is an optional but interesting feature that lets you make your messages more personalized, similar to a Mail Merge. For example, if you add the text “Hi [:firstname:]” to the message body, each student will get an email with their own first name in the message body (ie “Hi Joe”).
At the bottom you can add attachments (see below), set an email signature, or choose to send the message at a later time. If you want to get a copy of the email, be sure to select “Yes” for “Receive a send report”.
Click "Send Message"! Make sure you come back to the main Moodle course page- if you still see the Quickmail screen and your message, it has not sent. Check for a missing field such as the subject.
A Note About Attachments
- In Quickmail, the email recipient will receive links to the attached files instead of traditional attachments. All the recipient has to do is click the link to download the attachment.
- An email with multiple attachments will contain a link to a ZIP file containing all the attachments. Simply click the link to download the zip file, unzip it, and you will have a folder on your computer with all the files.