Option 1: Announcements Forum
- Every Moodle site contains an announcements forum, which provides a one-way means of communication for the instructor to send out messages to the entire class.
- Anything posted to the announcements forum will be sent to the entire class as an email.
- An advantage to this method is that past messages can be viewed by clicking into the forum.
- By default you can add only one attachment, but you can increase this limit in the forum settings.
Option 2: Quickmail Block
Look for your Quickmail Block to the lower right-hand side of your course site. Click "Compose New Message" and see below for continued instructions.
The Quickmail Interface
Choose who you'd like to send the message to. If you've arrived here through the Participants list you will have this set already.
Fill out the subject and message body...
The “Supported user data fields” is an optional but interesting feature that lets you make your messages more personalized, similar to a Mail Merge. For example, if you add the text “Hi [:firstname:]” to the message body, each student will get an email with their own first name in the message body (ie “Hi Joe”).
At the bottom you can add attachments (see below), set an email signature, or choose to send the message at a later time. If you want to get a copy of the email, be sure to select “Yes” for “Receive a send report”.
Click "Send Message" when you are ready!
A Note About Attachments
- In the new Quickmail, the email recipient will receive links to the attached files instead of traditional attachments. All the recipient has to do is click the link to download the attachment.
- An email with multiple attachments will contain a link to a ZIP file containing all the attachments. Simply click the link to download the zip file, unzip it, and you will have a folder on your computer with all the files.
Option 3: Participants List
Access the participants list by clicking the menu icon at top left to toggle open the sidebar, and click Participants. This will bring up the course roster.
There are four ways to send email from the roster.
1. Emailing the entire class
Click on the Email this course button. This will email everyone included in the course. This can include librarians, course coordinators and TAs.
2. Emailing every class member with a particular role(s)
Click on the Email By Role line near the top of the page. Then click on the roles that should receive the email. Finally click on the Submit button. The All Students role includes everyone with a student or petitioner role.
3. Emailing a group of individuals
Click the checkbox beneath the name of every person to receive the email. Above the list of participants, click on the Send an email link after the With selected users... prompt.
4. Emailing an Individual
To send email to a single individual, simply click on their email address.