If your department, laboratory, student or College organization email account is an IT Support Services managed account, once you are given permission for the account, access it by using your web browser. See our instructions below.
If you are not sure what kind of email account you have, contact the IT Help Desk and we will let you know.
- To get access to the account email AskIT@amherst.edu with the account name such as "firstname.lastname@example.org", state that it is an IT Support Services managed group, and provide the Amherst email addresses of those who need permissions. People granted permissions will be able to read, manage and respond to email for the account.
- Once you hear back from the Help Desk that you have permissions for the account, go to Amherst Web Mail at the website address - mail.amherst.edu or from any page of the Amherst website click the wrench icon in the top right corner then select Webmail.
- Log in using your own Amherst user name and password. You must use your own Amherst user name and password.
- Once logged in, in the top right corner click your name.
- In the Select Mailbox: text box type the name of your account. Do not include @amherst.edu.
For example, if the account is email@example.com, type studentorg.
- Click Open.
- If prompted with the account name click the name or click Open again.
- If prompted, click OK. Make sure that you do not select the check box to use the low vision experience unless you need an assistive set up of the email that will work with a screen reader.
- The account folder will appear in the left menu, you will have your own Inbox and below that the department or student organization Inbox.
- If you have permissions for more than one of this type of mailbox, you may add as many as needed.
- Click on the Inbox for the student organization or department account to read and work with the messages for that account.
- When you are in the Inbox for the department or student organization account, if you create a new message and send it, make sure the From: address is what you want. People will receive the message and it will be from firstname.lastname@example.org and display as “From: Your Name <email@example.com>”.
- Going forward the account should be accessed this way. If you need anyone else to be able to access the account, that is send and manage the messages for the account, please contact the IT Help Desk, it is fine to email AskIT@amherst.edu.
- When requesting account access, please provide your department or student organization email account address, state that it is an IT Support Services managed group, and let us know the Amherst email addresses of the people to add.
- Once added, everyone accessing the account will use this same method, going to exchange.amherst.edu, logging in with their own Amherst user name and password, then clicking on their own name to add the account.