If your department, laboratory, student or College organization email account is an IT Support Services managed account, once you are given permission for the account, access it by using your web browser and going to our Amherst Web Mail or Outlook Web Access (OWA). See our instructions below.
If you are not sure what kind of email account you have, contact the IT Help Desk and we will let you know.
- To get access to the account email AskIT@amherst.edu with the account name such as "email@example.com", state that it is an IT Support Services managed group, and provide the Amherst email addresses of those who need permissions. People granted permissions will be able to read, manage and respond to email for the account.
- Once you hear back from the Help Desk that you have permissions for the account, go to Amherst Web Mail at the website address - mail.amherst.edu or from any page of the Amherst website click Tools in the top right corner then select Web Mail.
- Log in using your own Amherst user name and password. You must use your own Amherst user name and password.
- Once logged in, in the top right corner click your name.
- In the Select Mailbox: text box type the name of your account. Do not include @amherst.edu.
For example, if the account is firstname.lastname@example.org, type studentorg.
- Click Open then if prompted with the account name click it or if needed click Open again.
- If prompted, click OK. Do not select the check box to use the low vision experience unless you have low or no vision and need an assistive set up of the email that will work with a screen reader.
- The account folder should then appear in the left menu, you will have your own Inbox and below that the department or student organization Inbox.
- Once you set it up, anytime you return to Web Mail at mail.amherst.edu the department or student organization mailbox will display in addition to your own mailbox.
- If you have permissions for more than one of this type of mailbox, you may add as many as needed.
- Click on the Inbox for the account to read and work with the messages.
- When you are in the Inbox for the department or student organization account, if you create a new message and send it, make sure the From: address is that account not your name. People will receive the message and it will be from email@example.com and display as “From: Your Name <firstname.lastname@example.org>”.
- Going forward the account should be accessed this way. If you need anyone else to be able to access the account, that is send and manage the messages for the account, please contact the IT Help Desk, it is fine to email AskIT@amherst.edu. Provide your department or student organization email account address, state that it is an IT Support Services managed group, and let us know the Amherst email addresses of people to add.
- Once added they will use this same method, going to exchange.amherst.edu, logging in with their own Amherst user name and password, then clicking on their own name to add the account.