How to create an archive of your Amherst email mailbox. The archive is a .pst file that you can then download to your computer and open in any version of Outlook.
IT has built a tool that can automatically copy all your email into a file you can read in Microsoft Outlook. While this is the simplest and recommended route for archiving your email, you should be aware that you can only read the archive file using the full version of Microsoft Outlook. Outlook Express and other mail programs cannot read this file. If you prefer to use other programs with your email, archive your mail manually.
- Sign in to the Outlook Mailbox Export Tool.
- Click Export. It may take anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes for the page to create the file, depending on the size of your mailbox, network speed, and other factors. The web page will keep refreshing itself every two minutes until the file is created -- you will know because a Download button will appear.
- If you are logged out of the page, simply log in again. Your archive should be ready for download if you've been logged out.
- Once the Download button appears, click it to save your archived file to your computer.
- Your archive file will no longer be downloadable after two days. You can recreate the file by clicking Export again, though.