Archives of Google inboxes or Google Groups are typically exported as .mbox files which require a third-party application to open and navigate. We recommend utilizing Mozilla Thunderbird as it's free, secure, and relatively easy to use.
Follow the instructions below to open your .mbox file
- Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird
- Launch the software, and from the Home tab, select Feed to set up a new account
- Give your account a name (eg. Gmail archive, etc) and click Next. Then click Finish. If not automatically redirected, click on the tab with the name of your new account.
- Click the hamburger menu in the top right and select Addons and Themes
- Search for ImportExportTools NG locate it from the list and click Add to Thunderbird
- If prompted, click Add to confirm the installation
- Return to your new account tab
- Right-click on the name of your account, select ImportExportTools NG > Import mbox file
- Select Import directly one or more mbox files and click OK
- Locate the file on your computer and click Open
- The messages may take a minute to load. You can now navigate the contents of the archive