Use the Voicemail System
How to use the Amherst voicemail system.
Set up your mailbox
1. Log into AVST CX Web PhoneManager using your four-digit phone number as your Username. (You may set or reset your password here, if needed. Doing so will also unlock a locked-out mailbox. )
2. Initially, you must record a personal greeting. This is necessary to activate your mailbox.
3. If you can't set up your mailbox, contact the IT Help Desk via email: AskIT @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2526.
Voicemail forwarding to Amherst Gmail
Follow these instructions, noting that you may also set your password using these instructions.
Message waiting lights
- The message waiting light on your phone will light when you have a new message.
- However, in order to light the light on your phone, the voice message must be in your Outlook Inbox or Saved folder. If you have an Outlook rule that automatically forwards avstDelivery messages to a different folder, the light on your phone will not light.
- If you forward your Amherst email, such as to gmail.com, the light on your phone will not light. If you are forwarding your Amherst email, and you want the message waiting light, please contact IT Communications & Infrastructure: email ITCI @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2410, as there may be a workaround.
Access Voicemail from Off-Campus
To access your voicemail messages from off campus, dial 1-413-542-6245. During the greeting message enter # (the pound sign). When prompted enter the last 4-digits of your Amherst phone number. Enter your voicemail password.
If you wish, print a voicemail instructions quick reference card for yourself.
On page 2 of quick reference card, write in this information as follows:
CallXpress internal number: 6245
CallXpress external number: 413-542-6245
Your subscriber mailbox number: (the last 4-digits of your Amherst phone number)
Tips & Tricks
- To skip someone's mailbox greeting and immediately begin recording a message to them, press any key except * or # or 0.
- The system allows three password attempts. If you get locked out, contact IT Communications & Infrastructure: email ITCI @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2410, to unlock your mailbox so you can reset your security code.
- To record your out-of-office greeting, from the main menu press 4 - 6.
- To send a message to another subscriber, from the main menu press 3, record the message, press #, then enter the recipient's mailbox number.
- To listen only to "unread" voice messages, from the main menu press 1 - 1.
- To listen to all voice messages, from the main menu press 1 - 2.
- To advance to the end of a message, press 3 - 3.
- To return to the beginning of a message, press 1 - 1.
- To delete a message, press 7.
- Self-service mailbox security code reset, if you forget your mailbox security code:
- Voicemail System Quick Reference Card, including handy shortcuts for tasks such as recording out-of-office greetings