How to use the Amherst voicemail system.
set up your mailbox
1. Dial the internal voicemail phone number 6245 from your desk phone.
- Normally your voicemail mailbox number is the same as your four-digit phone extension.
- If your mailbox number is not the same as your four-digit phone extension, or you don't have a phone extension, if you dial 6245 from a campus phone that is assigned to a voicemail subscriber, you will need to press * followed by # and then enter your mailbox number.
- If you dial 6245 from a campus phone that is not assigned to a voicemail subscriber, you will need to press # and then enter your mailbox number.
- If you dial 1-413-542-6245 from a cell phone or an off-campus extension, you will need to press # and then enter your mailbox number.
2. When prompted to enter a security code, enter your mailbox number. Initially, your mailbox number is also your temporary security code.
3. A setup tutorial will then prompt you to set a strong, six-digit security code, record your name, and record a personal greeting. Requirements of a strong security code:
- The digits may not form a simple arithmetic sequence
- The security code must contain at least three unique digits
- The complete mailbox number may not be part of the security code
4. Initially, you must record a personal greeting. This is necessary to activate your mailbox.
5. If you can't set up your mailbox, contact the IT Help Desk email helpdesk @ amherst.edu or 413-542-2526.
- The new voicemail system has, as a standard feature, voicemail-to-email forwarding. Your voicemail messages will arrive in your Amherst email as audio files attached to email messages. Just open the message, click the attachment, and listen.
- To delete a voicemail message that has been forwarded to email, simply delete the email message that contains the audio file. This also deletes the copy that is stored in your voice mailbox.
- If you find that voicemail-to-email forwarding is not working, contact IT Communications & Infrastructure, email TNG @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2410.
Message waiting lights
- The message waiting light on your phone will light when you have a new message.
- However, in order to light the light on your phone, the voice message must be in your Outlook Inbox or Saved folder. If you have an Outlook rule that automatically forwards avstDelivery messages to a different folder, the light on your phone will not light.
- If you forward your Amherst email, such as to gmail.com, the light on your phone will not light. If you are forwarding your Amherst email, and you want the message waiting light, please contact IT Communications & Infrastructure, email TNG @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2410, as there may be a workaround.
Access Voicemail from Off-Campus
To access your voicemail messages from off campus, dial 1-413-542-6245. During the greeting message enter # (the pound sign). When prompted enter the last 4-digits of your Amherst phone number. Enter your voicemail password.
If you wish, print a voicemail instructions quick reference card for yourself.
On page 2 of quick reference card, write in this information as follows:
CallXpress internal number: 6245
CallXpress external number: 1-413-542-6245
Your subscriber mailbox number: (the last 4-digits of your Amherst phone number)
Tips & Tricks
- To skip someone's mailbox greeting and immediately begin recording a message to them, press any key except * or # or 0.
- The system allows three password attempts. If you get locked out, contact IT Communications & Infrastructure, email TNG @ amherst.edu or call 413-542-2410, to unlock your mailbox so you can reset your security code.
- To record your out-of-office greeting, from the main menu press 4 - 6.
- To send a message to another subscriber, from the main menu press 3, record the message, press #, then enter the recipient's mailbox number.
- To listen only to "unread" voice messages, from the main menu press 1 - 1.
- To listen to all voice messages, from the main menu press 1 - 2.
- To advance to the end of a message, press 3 - 3.
- To return to the beginning of a message, press 1 - 1.
- To delete a message, press 7.
- Self-service mailbox security code reset, if you forget your mailbox security code:
- Voicemail System Quick Reference Card, including handy shortcuts for tasks such as recording out-of-office greetings
- Video to watch material from the quick reference card and more: