Set up VPN on an Android Device
This document outlines how to set up an Amherst VPN connection on an Android device using the VPN client built into Android. Because of variations across manufacturers and Android versions, what you see may not match these instructions exactly.
On the phone go to Settings > Network & internet > VPN
- On the VPN window, select the option that allows for VPN supporting full IPsec which may be labeled as an advanced option
- As needed tap the plus sign + to set up a new VPN
- VPN connection name: Amherst VPN (or Amherst VPN Firewall)
- IPsec connection type: IPSec Xauth PSK (older versions may show pre-shared key (IKEv1))
- Gateway: vpn.remote.amherst.edu (or vpnfirewall.remote.amherst.edu)
- Identity: amherstvpn
- Pre-shared key (PSK): amherstvpn
- When you connect you’ll be prompted for your Xauth username and Xauth password. Use your Amherst username and password.
- You will then receive a Duo 2FA authentication request via your typical or first listed Duo authentication method.
If you would like to use a different Duo 2FA method you can specify a different one when you enter your password. For example, to use your second Duo method you enter push2 on the password line. For example, assuming Foo123 is your Amherst password, you would enter Foo123,push2.
Network & Wi-Fi