How to connect and disconnect VPN on Windows.
- Install the VPN client for Windows.
- Double-click on the VPN shortcut on your desktop, enter your Amherst username and password, use Amherst as the logon domain, and click Connect.
- If you receive a message that the Connection Manager need elevated privileges, click Continue.
- If User Access Control (Vista and 7) asks whether Connection Manager can make changes to your system, click Yes.
- You can now use the VPN connection to access resources on the Amherst network
You should use the VPN connection only when you are accessing resources on the Amherst network. When finished accessing Amherst resources, double click on the VPN shortcut on your deskstop and click Disconnect. You must disconnect as described above or you may be unable to connect again from home or access the Amherst network when you return to campus.
Important Note for VPN Firewall Users:
You must disconnect after using VPN Firewall!
The Firewall VPN software provided by the College makes changes to your network setting so that you computer can access resources behind the Amherst firewall. In order to "unmake" these changes, you need to actively disconnect from VPN (see disconnect VPN instructions above). If you computer restarts or if your VPN connection times out before you can disconnect, then the networking changes will not be "unmade" and you will find that you cannot connect to the Internet at all.
If you find after using VPN Firewall that you can't connect to the Internet, you need to reset your TCP/IP settings. Specifically, you need to tell you computer to obtain its DNS server settings automatically. You'll find instructions about how to do this on the following page:
Reset your DNS settings