How to set up a VPN connection on Windows using the automatic tool provide by Amherst College.
- Download the appropriate VPN client and, when prompted, Save it to your computer. Note that your browser may indicate that the VPN connector may be unsafe, so you may need to explicitely indicate that you want to keep the download.
- From your computer downloads folder, double-click on the file you just downloaded to open and run it.
- When asked to proceed with the VPN Connectoid installation/update, click OK.
For any security prompts, provide permission to proceed with the process, clicking Yes, Allow, OK, Run, or other as prompted.
- Some web browsers will try to block the download or provide a warning message that the download contains malware. The connectoid is not malware but it is an executable file that will make some registry changes. All VPN clients of this type make registry changes and those changes are essential for the connectoid to work. If you do not wish to download the connectoid you will not be able to use Amherst VPN.
You can learn more about VPNs and how they work by using a search engine to look up "how do vpns work".
- When informed that the installation is complete and that a shortcut to VPN has been created on your desktop, click OK.
- Once the icon is installed on your desktop, double click on it to open. Depending on your version of Windows you may need to click on the title again then click it again then click Connect.
Network & Wi-Fi
Five College Students