How to install X11 on a Mac computer.
Install X11 Macintosh Computer
Apple includes this software in the Utilities folder for Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) through 10.7 (Lion), and provides it as as an option for 10.3 (Panther), 10.4 (Tiger), and 10.8 (Mountain Lion). To install X11:
- If you are running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther), visit the web site X11 for Mac OS X 1.0, download the software, and follow its installation instructions.
- If you are running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), and have a Mac OS X 10.4 Installation disk:
- Locate the file Optional Installs.mpkg and double-click on it to start the installer.
- Click through the installer pages until you reach the page named Installation Type or Custom Install.
- Click open the list item Applications.
- Check on the item X11.
- Make sure that all other items are unchecked.
- Continue with the installation.
- If you are running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), but you don't have a Mac OS X 10.4 Installation disk:
- Mount the network disk Macsoft; see the instructions on the web page How to Install College Software.
- Locate the file X11 and double-click on it.
- Follow the instructions to install X11.
- If you are running Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later, visit the web site for XQuartz, download the software, and follow its installation instructions.
In all cases, after installing X11 check for software updates by menuing Apple > Software Update….