To set up your Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) computer to print to a department network printer, the process has two parts.
- Install the network printer drivers from the Apple website.
- Add the network printer to your computer.
To get started you will need to know both the network printer name (will include your department's 4-letter abbreviation and numbers, for example: DECS_04_P) and the printer make and model (example: HP Laserjet 4011N) for the printer you want to install. Please contact your Academic Department Coordinator (ADC) or a department Administrative Assistant to get this information or the IT Help Desk if you need assistance.
Make sure you have an Ethernet or wired Internet connection before proceeding. If you do not normally use Ethernet/wired Internet, you must Network Register the connection, restart your computer, then you can proceed. To network register the Ethernet connection open a web browser or navigate to netreg.amherst.edu.
Remove any stored keychain entries for previous network printers if applicable. To do this open Applications > Utilities >Keychain Access. Delete any entries for PS002, PS003, PS004, or PS005. You will be asked to re-create the Keychain Entry and store your Amherst username and password the first time you try to print.
- Visit the Apple website to download the network printer drivers software update at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907 (external link to apple.com website)
- Click the blue Download button.
- Once the download is complete, locate the downloaded file (usually in your Downloads folder).
- Open the file HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg. A window should open containing a file called HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg with an open box icon.
- Double click to open the HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg file and start the installation process. Follow the instructions on-screen to install the software. You can delete the downloaded file after the installation is complete.
Go to System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
- Click the Print & Scan icon.
- Click the + sign then Add Other Printer or Scanner.
- Select the Windows tab.
- Click Amherst.
- In the center column is a list of network connected computers, printers and servers. Wait 1-2 minutes and allow the list to populate. Scroll down through the list and click ps005 to log on to the printer server. Make sure not to accidentally click on and select on any other items in the center column or you will keep getting error messages that you cannot connect to the selected item.
- Log on to ps005 with your Amherst username and password.
Check the box Save in Keychain.
- Now in the far right column, scroll down through the list and click to choose the printer you want from the list.
- From the Use: drop-down list click Select Printer Software.
- Scroll through the list of printer make and models and click to select the one you want to add.
- Open Microsoft Word and try to print a test page to make sure your printer is configured correctly.
Important: The first time you print you must log in with your Amherst username and password. Make sure to enter your Amherst user name NOT your full name. Check the box Remember this password in my keychain to save your password for future use.