How to prevent unauthorized changes to your system settings by setting a BIOS password.
Why would you want to set a BIOS Password?
You do not want unauthorized personnel to log on your system or change any system settings.
Model: Dell GX260 and GX270 (process is similar for other Windows computers)
- To get in the BIOS setup, boot the computer and press F2 (The option comes up on the upper left hand conner of the screen)
- Highlight System Security then press Enter.
- Highlight System Password then press Enter and put in the password. Confirm the password.
- System Password will change from "not enabled" to "enabled".
- Repeat process for Setup Password. Setup Password will change from "not enabled" to "enabled".
- Highlight password status. Press Space bar to change password status from "unlocked" to "locked".
- press Esc twice and then highlight Save and Exit, press enter.
From now on in order to enter the system BIOS or to start the computer, you will need to enter the appropriate password.