How to install the College's antivirus/malware protection software on a personally-owned Mac computer.
- Before you install ESET, you MUST uninstall any other antivirus software you have, particularly if you have McAfee Virus Scan or Virex software installed. It is very important that you do not try to run two different types of antivirus software at once. This will cause significant problems in your computer's operations.
- To remove McAfee antivirus software, the Softonic website provides an uninstaller or removal tool for download for Macintosh computers. Alternately, the ESET website also provides a number of unistallers for common antivirus programs.
- To remove other any antivirus software, open the software and use the Help feature to search for how to uninstall. Alternately use a search engine such as Google to search how to uninstall the particular type of software for a Macintosh computer.
- Whether prompted or not, restart your computer after uninstalling the software to make sure the change takes effect.
- Fill out the ESET for Mac Download Form.
- Once you complete the form, you will receive an email to your Amherst email account. The email will provide you with an ESET user name and password.
- Go to the ESET Web site at www.eset.com/us/
- Select Download from the ESET website menu of options at the top of the screen.
- By default, it will go to the tab for For Home options. Click the second tab to switch to the For Business options.
- Make sure you have Download selected from the top menu and then the For Business tab selected. Find the ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition for Mac OS X option in the list and click the blue button in that section for I Have a License.
- The Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, Lion 10.7, Snow Leopard 10.6, Leopard 10.5 option is selected by default.
- Select your language as English or other language as you like.
- If there is no other antivirus software on your computer, you are ready to install ESET, to do so click the blue Download button.
- Follow the ESET documentation about how to install the software for your type of computer.
Note: When prompted, enter the ESET user name and password from the email message referenced above.