How to install the College's antivirus/malware protection software on a personally-owned Mac computer.
- Before you install ESET, you MUST uninstall any other antivirus software you have, particularly if you have McAfee Virus Scan or Virex software installed. It is very important that you do not try to run two different types of antivirus software at once. This will cause significant problems in your computer's operations.
- To remove McAfee antivirus software, the Softonic website provides an uninstaller or removal tool for download for Macintosh computers. Alternately, the ESET website also provides a number of unistallers for common antivirus programs.
- To remove other any antivirus software, open the software and use the Help feature to search for how to uninstall. Alternately use a search engine such as Google to search how to uninstall the particular type of software for a Macintosh computer.
- Whether prompted or not, restart your computer after uninstalling the software to make sure the change takes effect.
- Fill out the ESET for Mac Download Form.
- Once you complete the form, you will receive an email to your Amherst email account. The email will provide you with an ESET License Key.
- Go to http://www.eset.com/us/support/download/home/cyber-security/
- The screen that comes up will be for Version 6. In the blue right rectangle select Download ESET Endpoint Antivirus for OSX.
- Under Download ESET Cyber Security select I already purchased.
- The Operating System should be there. Select the language you want.
- Select Download.
- Find the download in the downloads file and open it.
- Go through the prompts to complete the software installation.
- The download will put an icon in the menu tray (on top of the screen). It will be a green e in a green figure with a red exclamation on it. Click this.
- Select Activate ESET. This will ask for the ESET License Key sent to you by email. Enter it. ESET should activate. It may also need to be updated with current virus data. This will be evident by a red exclamation point on the ESET green icon. Click and it will update.