Amherst students and faculty and staff employees receive an Amherst email mailbox when they join the College. Faculty and staff employees who depart college employment lose access to their email mailboxes on their termination date. Students lost access to their college mailbox about six months after they graduate. Emeriti retain access to their Amherst mailboxes. In some cases non-employee members of the college will be provided mailboxes for specific time periods, for example visiting scholars or post baccalaureates with a start and end date of association with the college community can be provided mailboxes.
The College's email service is Gmail and is provided as part of Google G Suite. Gmail provides email, calendar, contacts, etc. Your messages and other data remain in the GMail system until you explicitly delete them.
Gmail is accessible via any web browser (Chrome is preferred) and via apps on iOS and Android devices.
Features and Benefits
Your Amherst email is available from any place you have Internet access. Access to email is not dependent upon that status of the Amherst network.
To access your email you need an Internet connection and a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Opera. Chrome is preferred.
On a mobile device, to access your Amherst email add an account and if possible select Google or GMail as the account type to add. If not already available on your iOS or Android device, you can download and install the GMail app from the Apple or Google store.
Access Amherst Email Online
- Go to gmail.com.
- Click Sign in.
- Enter your Amherst email address.
- If asked if this is a business, enterprise, or institutional account, agree.
- Enter your Amherst username and password.
- Complete Duo authentication if prompted.
- If asked if you want to continue, agree and continue.
- If you are already logged in with a personal Gmail account, click your account icon in the upper right corner of the screen to switch to your Amherst Gmail account.