Below we provide some useful links for using your Apple iOS devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) on campus and with Amherst College network resources.
- To purchase an iPad with College funds contact the IT Help Desk (helpdesk @amherst.edu or phone x2526).
- If you need to choose an iPad model:
Use our guide to decide between WiFi-only or Cellular Data Service iPad models
- If you need to activate your device:
Use our iOS Device Set Up instructions.
We have some tips for using iOS devices:
- iPad tips
- how to use the GoodReader app to read and annotate PDF documents
- how to put a podcast on your iPod using iTunes
- iPhone and international travel
iOS Devices How to Access Network Resources
Once your device is activated, use the links below to see how to access network resorces.
- Access your Amherst email, contacts, and calendar
- Use the Amherst wireless network (a.k.a. WiFi)
- Access your U: drive (note: not available to some users due to firewall/security reasons)
- Use VPN to access secure Amherst network resources
- Access restricted Library databases from off-campus (not available to some users)
- Access your Amherst Windows computer from your iOS device
- Access your Amherst Mac computer from your iOS device
- Use Apple TV for wireless projection in classrooms
Mobile Device Policies
Get Help/Support from Apple
For instruction/support of your devices, take advantage of Apple's excellent resources:
- Apple resources
- Get hardware support for your personally-owned device or get one-on-one instruction about how to use your device by making an appointment with Apple Support staff at the Apple store in the Holyoke Mall. Select Massachusetts as the state and Holyoke, Holyoke as the store and then click Reserve. Alternately, phone Apple Support at 800-275-2273.
- Using the same contact information as provided above, sign up for Project Work time at the Apple store to get instruction in a small group context for a specific project such as filming and editing a video, making a slide show, using particular Apps for a project.
Please note: There may be a fee charged for time with the Support staff, depending on how long you've had your device. Make sure to ask about changes and fee structure for the time with the support staff.
- Use Apple's excellent online support documentation:
Apple iPhone support documentation
Apple iPod Touch support documentation
Apple iPad support documentation