Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus is available free of charge for use with the personally-owned computers and tablets of current Amherst students, faculty, and staff.
Office 365 Pro Plus lets you install Microsoft Office on up to 5 different PCs, Macs, or mobile devices.
How to Sign Up and download Office 365 Pro Plus
- If you have an earlier version of Microsoft Office on your computer, uninstall that before continuing these steps.
- Go to the Microsoft signup page.
- On the signup page, type in your Amherst email address and click Get Started.
- Select the I'm a student or I'm a teacher option as applicable and complete the questions as prompted.
If you receive a sign in window instead, you already have an Amherst Microsoft account.
If you don't know your Amherst Microsoft account password, email email@example.com to get the password reset.
- Go to your Amherst email and look for the confirmation message from Microsoft.
People often miss this step, so we'll say it again:
You must check your Amherst email for the confimation message from Microsoft.
- In the confirmation email from Microsoft, click the link Complete Office 365 Education signup.
- The confirmation link will return you to the Office 365 website. As prompted, enter your name and create a password for the Office 365 Education service. Note that this password should not be the same as your Amherst College password.
- Sign in with your Amherst email address and the Office 365 password you just created.
- You will see a list of the available applications. Click Install now to download and install the software on your computer or iPad.
- The first time you launch an Office application, you'll see a welcome screen (picture of welcome screen below).
On the Welcome screen, click Sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription.
As prompted enter your Amherst email address and your Office 365 password.
- To maintain your license, you must launch an Office application once a month while connected to the internet.
- Your Amherst College subscription will remain active as long as you are a current student or employee. Once you graduate or leave college employment your Office 365 subscription ends. At that time, you may opt to purchase a license directly from Microsoft.
- Learn more about your Office 365 Pro Plus susbscription