All students, faculty, and staff are given a personal storage space on the Amherst network. Often called “Userfiles” or the “U drive”, it provides safe, secure, backed-up storage for files that you don’t need to share with others.
- Automatic backup every night.
- 1 GB capacity for your most important files. Faculty, staff, and thesis students can request increases by contacting the IT Help Desk.
- If your personal network share is on the Userfiles server, it is also accessible using WebDAV. Just about all faculty and student shares, as well as many staff shares, are on Userfiles.
- The storage technology used for personal shares is very expensive. If you need network storage on the order of tens of GBs or into TBs or your Userfiles space is full and cannot be further increased, contact the IT Help Desk to request project network storage.
- If you need to share files or folders and/or manage permissions, use another network storage option such as Storage or AC Apps Google Apps for Amherst. Contact the IT Help Desk to learn about options for sharing files, folders and setting permissions.