Payments to Faculty and Staff

2021 Travel and Expense Report
2020 Travel and Expense Report

To submit an expense reimbursement request, complete an Amherst College travel and expense report. After the travel and expense report is approved by your Department Head, attach the original receipts/expense documentation and send to Accounts Payable at Box 2227. For current IRS mileage rate information, please visit the IRS’ website.

Cash Advance Request
To request a cash advance, complete the cash advance request form and forward it to Accounts Receivable at Box 2227. A cash advance may not be used to fund personal expenses of any nature. As a general rule, advances will not exceed $100.00 per day, however, exceptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Generally, an advance request will not be granted to an employee with a previous outstanding advance balance.

Payments to Students

Request for Student Payment
This form is used to request payment through Accounts Payable for any payment to a student that is not a scholarship processed through financial aid or compensation for services processed through payroll. Use this form for reimbursement of business expenses, fellowships, and prizes/awards.

Foreign National Information Form - Scholarship/Fellowship Recipients
This form must be completed for each nonresident alien who has not previously completed one for Payroll or Financial Aid, to enable the Controller's office to determine the proper treatment of the scholarship/fellowship.

Payments to Vendors

Request for Payment of Services
Submit a Request for Payment of Services Form in duplicate to Accounts Payable (Box 2227).  Note: if you are using Firefox, the form will have to be opened as instructed here in order to be fillable.  Staple original receipts to the Form for reimbursement of business expenses.  Original invoices from the vendor can replace the Form if they contain all of the necessary information. Paper clip any material to the form/invoice that is required to be included with the check.  Incomplete requests and those not following policy are returned to the individual requesting payment.  For complete instructions, please see the Payments to Vendors page.

Performers file a Performer or Performing Entity Request for Reduction of Withholding with the MA DOR to claim their expenses for reduced MA Performers Tax Withholding.


Performers file a Performer or Performing Entity Request for Waiver of Withholding with the MA DOR to request a waiver from the  MA Performers Tax Withholding.

If you're paying a U.S. Person/Entity, obtain from the new vendor a completed IRS Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.

International Visitors

Foreign National Information Form
Foreign Nationals receiving payments through Accounts Payable of non-employee compensation, including honorariums, must complete the Foreign National Information Form.

Form 8233
To claim tax treaty benefits, international service providers must complete an Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual form to enable Accounts Payable to exempt the payment from federal income tax withholding.  Please see the IRS' Instructions for Form 8233 for more information.

If the vendor is an individual who is not a US Citizen or Resident, (refer to Policy for Payments to International Visitors) a Foreign National Information Form and/or IRS Form W-8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals) must be provided.

If the vendor is an international business entity, obtain an IRS Form W-8BEN-E Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Entities).

Form W-7
In order to claim treaty benefits, an individual must have a valid social security number or ITIN.  An ITIN is a number issued by the IRS to international individuals who are ineligible to obtain a social security number.  To apply for an ITIN, an individual must submit directly to the IRS, a Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.