The Office of the Ombudsperson was created as a safe place for faculty and staff to talk through concerns in a confidential and neutral environment. You may bring any concerns that you feel need attention, and the Ombudsperson will work with you to develop options for addressing them.
Below are examples of some of the questions or concerns a person might discuss with the Ombudsperson:
- I'm not getting along with a co-worker -- what can I do to improve the situation?
- I need to have a difficult discussion with a colleague -- can you help me think through how best to handle the conversation?
- I'm not happy with the performance feedback I've received -- what can I do to better understand the feedback and meet my manager's expectations?
- I'm feel that the behavior of a colleague is unprofessional and I'd like some advice on how to address the situation.
- I feel I'm being treated differently by my manager than he/she treats others -- what can I do about this?
- Several of the people in my department are not getting along -- are there actions I could take to improve the situation?
- I'm having an ethical dilemma and want to talk through the issues with someone who will keep it confidential.
- I have a concern about my manager, but am worried about retaliation if I bring it to his/her attention -- can you provide some coaching on how best to handle this?
- I have concerns about safety or other aspects of my work environment, but am not sure what to do.
- I've been told that a particular policy does not allow for something I believe should happen -- can you help me understand the policy and how it is applied at Amherst College?