The Ombuds Office is a safe place for faculty and staff to talk through concerns in a confidential and neutral environment. You may bring any concerns that you feel need attention, and I will work with you to develop options for addressing them.
Here are examples of some of the questions or concerns that faculty and staff have shared with our office:
- I’m not getting along with a co-worker. What can I do to improve the situation?
- I need to have a difficult discussion with a colleague. Can you help me think through how best to handle the conversation?
- I’m not happy with the performance feedback I've received from my supervisor. What can I do to better understand the feedback and meet my manager’s expectations?
- I’m feel that the behavior of a colleague is unprofessional and I’d like some advice on how to address the situation.
- I feel I’m being treated differently by my supervisor than he/she treats others. What can I do about this?
- Several people in my department are not getting along. Are there actions I could take to improve the situation?
- I'm having an ethical dilemma and want to talk through the issues with someone who will keep it confidential.
- I have a concern about my manager but am worried about retaliation if I bring it to his/her attention. Can you provide some coaching on how best to handle this?
- I have concerns about safety or other aspects of my work environment but am not sure what to do.
- I’ve been told that a particular policy does not allow for something I believe should happen. Can you help me understand the policy and how it is applied at Amherst College?