The Mammoth Milestone
What is it?
The Mammoth Milestone Program recognizes staff members for their longevity, loyalty and service. Every five years of employment, qualified staff members are invited to select awards as our way of saying thank you for their dedication to Amherst College.
Who can receive it?
All staff are eligible to receive this award if they are employed with the College for at least five consecutive years in a regular, benefited position.
What is the timing?
Mammoth Milestone letters are distributed monthly for those who have met the years-of-service criteria that year. A gift may be selected upon receipt of the Terryberry catalog and will be presented to the staff member when it arrives in the mail.
What does the recipient get?
Each staff member can choose an item from the Terryberry catalog.
- At 10 years of service and beyond, a monetary award option is available.
- At 20 years of service and beyond, an “experience award” option is available, which may include a restaurant gift certificate, special event or weekend-away opportunities, among others and as available.1 Individuals celebrating a milestone are invited to attend an annual Milestone Recognition Lunch.
- At 25 years of service and beyond, staff members are automatically members of the 25+ Year Club and are each invited, along with a guest, to the annual Retiree and 25+ Club Dinner. Each retiree also receives a College gift. In addition, recipients will be featured in a range of other internal communications and announcements unless they opt out of public recognition.
- To opt out of public recognition for any components of this program, a staff member may contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 542–2372 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recognition gifts are awarded to staff members after five years of cumulative, regular, benefited service and at every subsequent five-year milestone. Those individuals celebrating 25 years or more and those individuals who are retiring are invited to the Retiree and 25+ Club Dinner.
Starting with the fifth-year service anniversary, and every five years subsequently, the following will occur:
- OHR tracks service length and reaches out to the staff member during their service anniversary month, congratulating them for their accomplishment. The staff member will receive a catalog from Terryberry with a link to award options.
- The staff member reviews relevant options and selects a gift, monetary award or experience award online.
- OHR notifies the supervisor/chair to collect the service award to present to the staff member. The staff member has the option to pick up the gift if they prefer.
- This staff member is recognized publicly, unless they opt out.
OHR invites the staff member to the Milestone Recognition Lunch and/or the Retiree and 25+ Club Dinner, if eligible.