Introduction to Conflict Resolution Processes

Parties to conflicts are strongly encouraged to exercise their best will and seek to resolve disagreements as amicably or informally as possible. When a student is a party to a conflict, the Office of Student Affairs is available to help reach such informal resolutions. The following processes are available to students, faculty, and staff who need or desire the structure that a formal grievance process provides when less formal resolutions are inappropriate or impossible.

Any student who may require an accommodation to participate in a College adjudication process should contact the respective primary point of contact listed below. The contact person for the process will then consult with the College’s Director of Accessibility Services.

Multiple factors influence the appropriateness of the which of the four adjudication might be initiated to resolve a conflict. The affiliation or role of the parties to a conflict is one such factor. Whatever factors may emerge as influential, College officials associated with each adjudication process can assist interested parties in making informed decisions.


The Community Standards Adjudication Process (CSAP)

The CSAP can be initiated only against an Amherst College Student, and only for allegations that do not include sexual misconduct, (see Section 3, College Sexual Misconduct Policy). Common allegations adjudicated by this process include those involving intellectual responsibility and community standards, such as those enumerated in Section 2, Examples of Violations of the Student Code of Conduct. The primary point of contact for information about this procedure is the Director of Community Standards (413) 542-2337.


The Sexual Misconduct Adjudication Process

Amherst College students alleged to have engaged in sexual misconduct may be adjudicated by Sexual Misconduct Adjudication Process described in Section 13, The Sexual Misconduct Adjudication Process. The primary point of contact for information about this procedure is the Title IX Coordinator, (413) 542-5707.


The Resolution of Student Grievances with Members of the Faculty

If a student believes their rights under the Honor Code have been violated by a faculty member, they should consult the Dean of Students or the Dean of the Faculty at(413) 542–2334 about the procedures for resolving their grievances, as described in Section 15, The Resolution of Student Grievances with Members of the Faculty.


The Resolution of Student Grievances with Administrators, Staff or


If a student believes they have been aggrieved by a member of the administration or staff, they should consult the Director of Human Resources at (413) 542-2372. See Section 16, The Resolution of Student Grievances with Administrators, Staff or Visitors for additional details. The section of this code dealing with sexual harassment (Section 3, College Sexual Misconduct Policy) also provides guidance for students who believe that they have been harassed by members of the faculty, the administration, or staff.