Photo for Student ID and Directories
Your Amherst College student ID is your ticket to important locations and services on campus, including entering your residential hall, eating at Valentine Dining Hall, doing your laundry, accessing athletic facilities, printing, and checking out books at any of the Five College libraries. To help make your transition to life at Amherst simpler and smoother, please read this page carefully and take action immediately so that your ID card will be ready when you arrive on campus in August.
All incoming students: Please upload a headshot photo by June 15, 2018. This headshot will be used as your ID photo during your time at the College and to populate both the Campus Directory and the class rosters your professors will use to get to know you. Submitting your photo now means you can avoid what can be a long ID photo line during campus move-in.
A. Take, scan, or otherwise acquire an electronic photo of yourself and save it to a computer. Passport photos are good, as are high-school senior class photos. The requirement are:
- Portrait mode (image is taller than it is wide)
- Minimum 300 pixels wide (600 pixels wide is better)
- Your face should be in focus and fill most of the image. We don't want to see your dog, or your bike. Just your face.
- Image file must be in JPEG format (.jpg or .jpeg)
B. Upload your photo to the Amherst website.
- Go to www.amherst.edu/myamherst/profile/photos. If you are not already logged in, you will be prompted to do so with your Amherst username and password.
- In the section labelled Upload a New Photo, click the Choose File button.
- Browse to your photo on your computer and double-click on it.
- Click the Upload New Photo button.
If the photo is in the correct orientation, is the right size, and in the right file format, it will be uploaded and displayed on the page. If there is problem with the photo you'll see an error message. Fix your photo file, or take a new photo and try again.