Amherst College established a Student Emergency Fund in the fall of 2020 for students who experience financial strain and need supplemental resources due to temporary hardship. The funding is intended to assist students with meeting immediate needs so that they can continue their studies with minimal disruption.
Please note: We will not be able to approve all requests, but we can assist in directing students toward other funding options, which can include loan options. Also, all requests will be held in complete confidence, with only aggregate information potentially shared with Advancement to further fundraising efforts.
Please review the following eligibility criteria before submitting your form request. Also, review the FAQ below to answer questions about the funding process and additional eligibility requirements.
What Is Eligible
- Medical expenses that are not already covered by other means (emergency and non-recurring)
- Essential educational-related materials that are lost, damaged, stolen
- Transportation, food, or lodging as a result of unexpected emergency circumstances
What Is Not Eligible
- Living and personal expenses (including storage) during periods between academic terms, including summer
- Books and personal expenses such as winter clothing
- Unreimbursed medical expenses, eyeglasses and dental expenses causing pain (covered by financial aid)
- Routine travel during semester breaks
- Emergency needs that are for the benefit of family members
Annual Access Grants
Annual access grants are part of an enhanced grant program that provides funds to help purchase items like laptops and winter clothing, additional travel, or to cover job search expenses and other items to support their Amherst experience. These funds are automatically distributed; eligible students are notified via email from the Office of Financial Aid.