• The college has green-lighted the renovation of the Lord Jeffery Inn, which has been closed for more than a year. While reduced in scope from the plan initially proposed in 2008, the project will involve renovating the 49 guest rooms and adding event space and an expanded restaurant. The plan is to begin construction this spring and reopen in spring 2011.

The Amherst College Seal

November 19, 2009

The official Amherst College seal has changed. This new seal is a refined version of the seal used in 1949.

In the new seal, the serif font has been changed to Trajan, matching the font currently used in the college wordmark. The year of charter has been flipped to read directly from left to right. The motto, “Terras Irradient,” is now a sans serif font, and has been repositioned between the sunburst and the book illustrations. The stroke weights of the circular rules have been minimized and differentiated.