Literary Critic James Wood To Speak at Amherst College Nov. 30

November 11, 2005 Director of Media Relations 413/542-8417 AMHERST, Mass.—Critic James Wood will speak on “Saul Bellow and Herzog” at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 30, in the Cole Assembly Room (Red Room) in Converse Hall at Amherst College. Sponsored by the Amherst College Department of English in conjunction with the class “Novels, Plays, Poems,” this event is free and open to the public.

Dorothy Huff Oberhaus To Speak on Emily Dickinson's Fascicles at Amherst College Dec. 8

Writer brenda Lin To Speak At Amherst College Oct. 5

October 1, 2004Director of Media Relations 413/542-8417

Amherst College Professor Lawrence Douglas To Read The Catastrophist at Amherst College May 3

“A little Madness in the Spring” Turns Emily Dickinson Museum Upside Down April 28 & 29; Dickinson Museum Goes to the Dogs

April 4, 2007Director of Media Relations413/542-8417AMHERST, Mass.—The Emily Dickinson Museum’s celebration of National Poetry Month, appropriately named after Dickinson’s poem “A little Madness in the Spring,” takes over Amherst on Saturday, April 28, and Sunday, April 29, with a range of lectures, programs and outdoor events that will inspire even the most canine of poetry fans.

A History of the English Department

Following World War II, in 1947, the College instituted a New Curriculum with core requirements, one of which was English 1-2, a two-semester course in Composition for all freshmen. Taught in multiple sections with a common syllabus, the course had no reading component during its first semester, but required students to write a brief paper for every class, three times a week, in response to a sequence of assignments. Selected anonymous student responses were the sole subject of study for most of the course. Its syllabus changed every year and assignments were never repeated.