Faculty Handbook

THE HANDBOOK: PURPOSE AND PROVISIONS
The purpose of this Handbook is to provide all members of the Faculty, particularly those who are new to Amherst, with knowledge of the policies, regulations, practices and expectations which prevail at Amherst College. The various provisions of this Handbook are subject to revision from time to time by the Trustees, Administration and Faculty on their own initiative or in response to changes in State and Federal legislation.

Pre-Introduction

A. DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION Amherst College does not, in its admission or employment policies and practices, discriminate against individuals on the basis of extrinsic factors such as race, sex, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, handicap, or status as a veteran of the Vietnam War era or as a disabled veteran. The College complies with applicable federal and state legislation and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action.

Introduction

Amherst College was founded in 1821 as an outgrowth of Amherst Academy, which had been established in 1814. The founders of the College were residents of Amherst and nearby towns. More than 1,300 of them contributed money, materials and labor to the enterprise, and the College was named for the town (which itself was named in honor of Jeffrey Amherst, Commander of British forces in the French and Indian War). The first president of the Board of Trustees was Noah Webster, the lexicographer.

General Information

1. The Town of Amherst The Town of Amherst was settled in 1731 as the "Third Precinct" of Hadley, the next town to the west. Amherst was incorporated as a separate town in 1759. In origin solely a farming community, it is now known chiefly for its three educational institutions. Amherst is a town of more than 35,000 inhabitants; the ultimate control of the Town's affairs rests with a representative town meeting. Approximately one-third of the members of the meeting are elected each year for three-year terms by the registered voters.

Libraries

1. The Libraries on the Amherst College Campus The Amherst College Library consists of the main Robert Frost Library, the Keefe Science Library, the Vincent Morgan Music Library, and the Visual Resources Collection. In addition, a portion of the mathematics collection is housed in the Olds Mathematics Library in Seeley Mudd and an affiliated collection, the Amherst Center for Russian Culture, is located on the second floor of Webster Hall.

College Facilities and Services

Five Colleges, Incorporated

Together with Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst College is a constituent member of Five Colleges, Inc. The five Presidents and Chancellor of the Amherst campus of the University of Massachusetts and the Five College Coordinator serve on the Governing Board of Five Colleges, Inc. The Five College Coordinator and her staff are responsible for the cooperative management of activities undertaken by the colleges jointly. The Five College Center is located at 97 Spring Street in Amherst.

The Alumni

Any person who matriculated at Amherst College and whose class has graduated is eligible to become a member of the Society of the Alumni. The alumni maintain their own organization with elected officers and a governing council. The alumni are represented at the College by the Alumni Secretary and the staff of that office. A wide variety of publications designed to inform the alumni is published regularly by the College.

The Students

There are approximately 1,600 full-time students at Amherst College. The rules and regulations governing students, the committees that have jurisdiction over student life, and other pertinent information are summarized annually in the Student Handbook.

Memorial Minutes

A tradition at the College for many years, the Memorial Minute is a tribute written by members of the Faculty and other members of the Amherst College Community upon the death of a colleague. Each “minute” is read by one of its authors at a regular meeting of the Faculty and is followed by a moment of silence in honor of the deceased. In 2005, the Office of the Dean of the Faculty began posting the Memorial Minutes on its Web site, beginning with those of the past decade.

Pages