On Venezuela under Chávez
- 2013 On Venezuela after Hugo Chávez
- 2012 Press Interview on the Ven Elections (in Spanish). La Tercera (Chile, September 2).
- 2012 On Chávez's campaign platform. Americas Quarterly Web Exclusive (August 22).
- 2011 Chávez's Declining Influence in Latin America. World Politics Review (October 2011).
- 2011 Participatory Cancer in Venezuela. Perspectives on the Americas. Center for Hemispheric Policy, University of Miami (September 29).
- 2011 Conclusion, Dragon in the Tropics: Hugo Chávez and the Political Economy of Revolution in Venezuela (Brookings Institution Press).
See review by Francisco Monaldi, in Spanish (February 2011).
See review by Ibsen Martínez, in Spanish (March 2011).
- 2011 Why Polarize? Advantages and Disadvantages of a Rational-Choice Analysis of Government-Opposition Relations in Venezuela” in Jonathan Eastwood and Thomas Ponniah, eds., Revolution in Venezuela (Harvard University Press).
- 2011 Conflicting Goals in Venezuela’s Foreign Policy, in Ralph S. Clem and Anthony P. Maingot, eds., Venezuela’s Petro-Diplomacy: Hugo Chávez’s Foreign Policy (University Press of Florida), pp. 32-48.
- 2010 Relations between the United States and Venezuela, 2001-2009 (with Carlos A. Romero). In Jorge I. Domínguez and Rafael Fernández de Castro, eds. Contemporary U.S.-Latin American Relations (Routledge).
- 2010 The Repeating Revolution: Chávez's New Politics and Old Economics, in Kurt Weyland, Raúl L. Madrid, and Wendy Hunter, eds., Leftist Governments in Latin America (Cambridge University Press).
- 2009 Venezuela's Foreign Policy: Using Social Power to Balance Soft Power. Washington Quarterly32, 4 (October):97-114.
- “Venezuela’s Parliamentary Elections: Change Can’t Happen,” (with Mauricio Cárdenas) Brookings Institution website, at http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2010/0923_venezuela_elections_cardenas.aspx
- 2009 Venezuela: Petro-Politics and the Promotion of Disorder. In Freedom House, Undermining Democracy; 21st-century authoritarianism (New York, Freedom House).
- 2008 Volkstribunen unter Druck [Populism Under Pressure]. Die Zeit (December 4).
- Original in English.
- 2007 Venezuela: Crowding Out the Opposition. Journal of Democracy (with Michael Penfold).2009 For Chávez, Still More Discontent. Current History 108, 715 (February):77-82.
- 2005 “In Search of a Theory of Polarization: Lessons from Venezuela, 1999-2005.” European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies 79 (October):105-118.
- 2000 “Hugo Chávez Plays ‘Simon Says.’” Hopscotch 2, 2 (Summer):38-49.