We love having visitors on campus! We encourage you to visit Amherst to see the campus for yourself and meet our students, staff and professors. There are several ways to visit us:
- Sign up for a scheduled visit. Each of our scheduled visits starts with a one-hour information session (presented by an admission dean) followed immediately by a one-hour campus tour (led by a student tour guide), a sequence that is designed to maximize the value of your time with us. All visits begin at the Office of Admission at 220 South Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA. We recommend arriving at least fifteen minutes before the start of your scheduled visit.
- Reservations are not required for individual students and their families or for small groups of fewer than ten visitors, but we do strongly encourage you to sign up online in advance of your visit. (Please note, however, that Amherst does not use an applicant’s “demonstrated interest” in our admission decisions.)
- For groups of ten or more visitors, reservations are required and must be confirmed in advance. To inquire about the possibility of a group visit, please submit our online group visit form at least two weeks prior to the requested visit date.
- Explore on your own. Our campus is open to visitors. If you'll be visiting campus at a time when student-led tours are not offered, you can access our interactive campus map, follow our online virtual tour or download our self-guided tour booklet and print campus map (also available in the visitor information box outside the front door of the Admission Office).
- Attend an Amherst class. Select a class from the online course scheduler. Be sure to email the professor ahead of time to obtain permission to attend the class. And check the academic calendar to make sure that classes are in session. To avoid disruption of the class, please plan to arrive five minutes early and to remain for the duration of the class period. Due to the small size of Amherst classes, groups cannot be accommodated for classroom visits.
On-Campus Parking for Admission Office Visitors: The Office of Admission is located at 220 South Pleasant Street, Amherst, Massachusetts. There are several parking spaces for visitors directly in front of the Admission building, but you may also park in the lot behind the Admission building; anywhere along the long, semicircular driveway between Orr Hockey Rink and South Pleasant Street/Route 116; in the Orr Hockey Rink lot at the south entrance of the driveway; or on Hitchcock Road, running perpendicular to South Pleasant Street/Route 116 directly across from the south entrance of the driveway. On particularly busy days, should all those areas be full, additional parking may be found in the lot behind Alumni House. Upon exiting our semicircular driveway, turn right onto South Pleasant Street/Route 116, proceed to the traffic light, turn right onto College Street/Route 9, take the first left turn onto Seelye Street and proceed to the parking lot on your left. From the Alumni House parking lot, the Office of Admission is a ten-minute walk across campus. (If you should receive a parking ticket while parked on the Amherst College campus, please bring it to the Admission receptionist and we will take care of it for you!)