- Students can borrow books for 90 days, and 5 DVDs for 5 days; see more on loan periods, including for Five College students.
- Some materials, such as those in Archives & Special Collections and in the print reference collection, need to be used in the library.
- Materials from another library, whether Five College Delivery (FCD) or interlibrary loan, are subject to the loan rules of the owning library. Check the paperwork delivered with materials borrowed from other libaries for details.
- Renew your Amherst College and Five College Delivery loans online; you can also request extensions for interlibrary loans.
If you don't find what you need for your research (or you think it's something Amherst should have) in the Five Colleges library catalog, a reference librarian can help you decide if a purchase request is a better option than interlibrary loan.
- Overdue recalled items: $2 per day, to a maximum of $30.
- Overdue reserve items: $5 first hour, $1 for each additional hour up to a maximum of $30.
- Overdue fines are only charged for material needed by others. Students will be billed for items that are not returned. The replacement charge for most regular, circulating items is $85.00 and includes a $25.00 processing fee.
- All notices (recall, overdue, etc.) are sent by email to your official @amherst.edu address (or home campus email for Five Colleges students).
Contact Circulation at (413) 542-2373 with questions about lost or billed items.