- Five College Geology Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium: Thursday, April 25, 2019 in Beneski Museum of Natural History from 5:00 - 7:30 PM.
- Bromery Events: The Department of Geosciences and the W.E.B. Du Bois Department of Afro-American Studies invite you to join us in celebrating the legacy of UMass Chancellor and Professor of Geosciences Randolf (Bill) Bromery on Thursday and Friday, April 18 & 19 see attached flyer for event details.
- Five College Distinguished Lecture with Julie Baldwin, University of Montanta, on The Proterozoic to Eocene evolution of the Clearwater complex, northern Idaho: A record of continental growth to Cretaceous mountain building in Room 107, Beneski Earth Sciences Building on Thursday, February 21, 2019.
New England Geobiology conference will be at Amherst College on March 29-30, 2019 Hosted by Amherst, Smith, and Williams colleges. The symposium will begin with an informal evening reception on Friday, March 29. Presentations and posters will be scheduled for Saturday, March 30, 2019
Geology Department Holiday Celebration: Thursday, December 13.
- TGiRx dinner in Room 311 in Beneski. We will hear about the summer 2018 adventures of those juniors who will be spending the Spring semester abroad: Raina Chinitz, Khyla Haddock, Luz Lim, Olivia Moehl, and Jessica Reid. Come share a meal with the Amherst geology community.
- Five College Geology Faculty Symposium on Thursday, September 27 at Hampshire College, Franklin Patterson Hall, West Lecture Room. Pizza will be served beginning at 6:00 PM and Faculty Presentations will start at 7:00 PM. Featuring Abby Carroll, Visiting Assistant Professor of Geology from Amherst College.
- Five College Geology Field Trip - Las Vegas Area, Grand Canyon, Death Valley: January 7-16, 2019
Initial Planning Meeting and Course Credit sign-up is October 3 at 7:00 PM in Room 108 at UMass Morrill Building.
- Identify it Day: Sunday, October 28 at 1:00 PM in Beneski Museum of Natural History.
- Family Weekend Geology and Environmental Studies reception: Friday, October 26 at 4:00 PM in Room 100 in the Beneski Building of Natural History.
- John Grotzinger, Fletcher Jones Professor of Geology at California Institute of Technology and Chair of the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences, will be gving a talk on Monday, October 22 at 7:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall (Room 107)
- Geology Department Cookout: Thursday, Septemper 6, 2018
- Five College Geology Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium: Tuesday, April 24, Beneski Museum of Natural History from 4:30 - 7:30 PM.
- Paul E. Olsen: Visiting Scientist at Amherst College and Storke Professor of Earth Environmental Sciences, Columbia University/Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory will give a talk on "The Geological Orrery: Using Earth's Geological Record to Map the Chaotic Evolution of the Solar System" on Wednesday, January 31 at 7:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall, Room 107 in Beneski Earth Science Building.
- Death Valley Spring Break Field Trip - Tenative dates: Friday, March 9 - Saturday, March 17. See Peter Crowley with questions.
- Paul E. Olsen: Visiting Scientist at Amherst College and Storke Professor of Earth Environmental Sciences, Columbia University/Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory will give a talk on “Feathered dinosaurs of the Chinese Mesozoic: Extraordinary preservation or extraordinary effort?” on Tuesday, December 5 at 7:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall, Room 107 in Beneski Earth Science Building
- Lidya Tarhan '08: Research talk on Thursday, November 9 in Paino at 7:00 PM, Room 107 in Beneski Earth Science Building
- Identify it Day - Sunday, November 5 beginning at 1:00 PM
- Emmy Smith '08: Research talk on Thursday, November 2 in Paino, Room 107 in Beneski--CANCELED
- Family Weekend reception for Geology & ENST students and their families in Beneski, Room 100 at 4:00 PM on Friday, November 3
- Dr. Robert Krantz from the University of Arizona will give a talk on "Spatial Thinking and Structural Interpretation: How Geoscienceists Learn to see 3D" on Wednesday, October 4 at 7:00 PM in Paino Lecture Hall, Room 107, Beneski Earth Sciences Building
- TGiRx - Thank Goodness it Rocks - Kicks off on Friday, September 22 at 2:00 in Room 100
- 5-College Geology Faculty Symposium on Thursday, September 21 at UMass, Morrill 2, Room 222. Pizza at 6:00 PM; Talks start at 7:00 PM
- Geology Comprehensive Exams are Tuesday, September 19 at 5:30 - 9:00 PM in Room 311
- Geology Department Cookout from 12:30 - 1:30 PM on the north side of Beneski on Thursday, September 7
- Geology Department Year-End Cookout: Tuesday, May 2 at 12:00 noon, on the north side of Beneksi.
- 5-College Student Symposium: Thursday, April 20 at Amherst College. Set up is at 4:30 PM; posters from 5:006:00 PM and Pizza at 6:00 PM in the Beneski Museum of Natural History.
- Friday, March 24 - Saturday, March 25: Five College Geology Symposium at McConnell Auditorium, Smith College on Mineral Resources for a Sustainable Future. View schedule.
- Wednesday, March 1: Dan Breecker '01, University of Texas, Austin, will give a talk on "Extinct Soils of the Permo-Carboniferous" in Paino Lecture Hall (Room 107) at 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, February 8: Alyson Thibodeau, Dickinson College will give a talk on "The relationship between massive volcanism and mass extinctions: Insights from mercury anomalies and isotopes" in Paino Lecture Hall (Room 107) at 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, February 1: 5-College Faculty Symposium in Geology at Amherst College Beneski Museum of Natural History, Paino Lecture Hall, Room 107 starting with pizza at 5:30 PM; 6:15 PM Talk.
- Monday, January 23: Dr. Brian McAdoo will give a talk on Man-Made Natural Disaster and the Tsunami Project at 4:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall.
- Tuesday, November 15: Morgan Scahller (RPI) will give a talk in Stirn Auditorium on "Impact ejecta at the Paleocene-Eocene boundary" at 7:30 PM.
- Sunday, November 13: Identify it Day beginning at 1:00 PM.
- Wednesday, November 9: TGiRx Dinner at 5:30 PM in Beneski, Room 100.
- Wednesday, November 2: TGiRx Dinner at 5:30 PM in Benesski, Room 100.
- Friday, October 28: Family Weekend reception for Geology & ENST students and their families in Beneski, Room 100 at 4:00 PM.
- Thursday, October 20: So What do Geologist do? Come meet Russ Abel '93 in Beneski, Room 100 at 5:00 PM.
- Monday, October 3: Weston Dripps '92, Executive Director of the David E. Shi Center for Sustainability and Associate Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Furman University will give a talk at 4:00 PM in Paino Lecture Hall.
- Thursday, Sept 8: Geology Department Cookout from 12:30 - 1:30 PM on the north side of Beneski.
- 2016 Geology Department Year-end Cookout - Monday, May 9 at noon on the north-side of Beneski.
- Dr. Phoebe A. Cohen - lecture on Apatite for Construction: the oldest fossil evidence of biomineralization on Wednesday, May 4 at 7:00 in Paino Lecture Hall, Beneski Museum of Natural History.
- Five College Geology Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium: Wednesday, April 27 at 5:00 at Amherst College Beneski Building.
- Dr. Neil H. Suneson '72 will talk on History of Nuclear Frac'ing in the US, Thursday, March 24 at 7:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall
- TGiRx (Thank Goodness it Rocks): Kicks off on Friday, February 26, 2016 at 1:30
(Beneski Museum - Room 100)